CAN EPDM MEMBRANE BE USED IN ROOF TOP GARDEN APPLICATIONS?
EPDM has a proven track record in various waterproofing and pond lining applications which somewhat resemble roof top applications. However, there are certain rules that should be followed when designing a roof top garden regardless of the type of membrane used:
- Select a membrane with high puncture resistance
- Establish redundancy in the waterproofing assembly by overlaying splices
- Design the assembly to provide slope and proper drainage at the membrane level
- Incorporate protection above the membrane to aid against root growth and possible puncture
- Incorporate a drainage layer and a root barrier to influence root growth away from membrane
- Select proper growth media for the type of roof garden intended